Fit task for Ant. Requested on the FIT wiki MakingRunners page.
OverviewThis is an external task for Ant that will invoke the FIT engine on the test input file.
ContextIn a development effort consisting largely of Java where the chosen tool for the project's build is Apache Ant.
IntentThe integration with Ant allows the acceptance tests to be run as part of the overall build. In projects where a build and deploy is complex and requires integration with application servers or other complexities, having the power of Ant to handle the steps and run the tests together is an important benefit.
DescriptionThe basic runner iterates over a FileSet of test documents in the specified input directory, and leaves the results in an output directory.
- The task loads the fixture html documents from a specified location.
- The runner executes each fixture.
- The result html files are written to the specified output directory.
Not Gonna Do ItThings this tools will not address. TBD.
The Big Picture
The Nitty-GrittyFor now, see the quickstart.
- We might be inclined to offer an option to only run those tests where the input is newer than the corresponding output.
- There are ways to set up the ant dependencies to only run the tests if there has been a change that required any recompilation. The examples page will eventually cover that.
- Perhaps Ant could build an index.html page linking to all the sub-documents and write that into the output directory? Have to watch for name collisions if index.html is already one of the names.
Notes To Specific Audiences
Technical NotesThe choice to subclass WikiRunner rather than the basic FileRunner was deliberate. In playing with various documents it became clear that having the ability to segregate fixture content from non-fixture content was a desirable feature. If anyone has a different story, this choice could be made configurable.
- Testing Notes
- Maintenance Notes